Monday, October 3, 2011

The Contessa Papera Ephemera - Halloween Decoration

Gather around children, for I will tell you the tragic story of a dear friend of mine, the Contessa Papera Ephemera, known to me as Poppy. I first met Poppy in a previous life, when I was a Parisian and owned my fashion shop. She would travel long distances every year to visit my shop and order dresses, mantels, wigs, purses, fans, shoes and everything else a beautiful aristocrat’s heart desired. She was a happy and carefree person - lots of fun to be around, but France was, in contrast, a very angry place at the time. The year she died, I had warned her not to come, but vanity and the lure of fashion proved to be too strong. She died in 1789 - guillotined. She still visits me every year (in two separate parts). We have been friends for the last 230 years. She much prefers the Dusty Victorian to my Vancouver condo. For Halloween, she thought it would be fun to show off her latest dress and welcome ‘trick or treaters’ at the Dusty Victorian’s door.

The Contessa will make her appearance on the front porch of the DV a week before Halloween. All materials used to make the Contessa's dress and wig were recycled. Different types of sticky tapes and glue were used to put it together. Of course, the Contessa believes that all is made of silk and wool. To meet a real expert and artist in paper dress making visit Isabelle de Borchgrave.

11 comments:

Richard Cottrell said...

This is wonderful. What work you have done. I just love it. Very impressed. Richard from my Old Historic House.

Laura said...

Oh my god! That is amazing! You have truly outdone yourself.
I love it and I'm betting your neighbours appreciate your efforts as well. :)

((Hugs))
Laura

Mrs. D said...

Ooooooo, wowwwwwwww! Stunning work Anyes. This takes some amazing skills . . . you are so very talented.

Wish you could come here and give a class on your methods. I'm serious about the invitation. The art studio is almost done.

Thanks for sharing your project, story, and fabulous photos.

I'm so lucky to know you and enjoy your website.


Love ya,
Mrs. D

Mark D. Ruffner said...

Your newspaper editing is an inspiration, and I know your neighbors will have a lasting memory from this Halloween! I particularly enjoy all the ruffles!

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Richard,
The dresses your nieces wear for your house tour are very impressive as well and must have taken much longer to do. I thought this post would be right up your alley. Glad you enjoyed it.
Anyes
XX

Hi Laura,
Thank you so much. I bet your Gabby would love to wear a dress like that (but not in paper).
Anyes
XX

Thank you so much Linda, your so sweet. The camera is more forgiving than the naked eye. I've always been better at designing than executing unlike you who excels at both. But it's not meant to last and it's fun to look at. So glad you enjoyed it.
Anyes
XX

Hello Mark,
The neighbors will either enjoy it or will think I'm certifiably crazy. I will know by the looks I get once the Contessa is on the front porch. Thanks for dropping in.
Anyes
XX

Scotty said...

Wild.Love it.

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hello Scotty,
Thank you so much, always a pleasure.
Anyes
XX

Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

That's an amazing spectacle! She will be a hit at Halloween! I love how carefully you've pieced her together. If i'd attempted this, she would have been crumpled, duct-taped, ripped, smudged, and would have looked more like a mummy, lol!

-Pam

A. Kadowaki Busby said...

Hello Pam,
Thank you so much, but prints are good camouflage for imperfections. Oh! a mummy is a great subject for this medium - you are planting a seed.
Nice talking to you again.
Anyes
XX

A Thousand Clapping Hands said...

Dear Anyes,
She is just superb. Such creativity. If only the view of my neighbor's porch had her standing on it! I made a wig this week, too. So funny.
Best,
Catherine

The Dusty Victorian said...

Thank so much Catherine, I'm just an amateur compared to you. I would bet the wig you did is amazing and wearable, unlike mine. I hope you do a post and show it.
Always a pleasure,
Anyes
XX