Gentlewoman Farmer


I was so busy with work on the house that my spring flowers came and went and I barely noticed. So I'll show you progress on my fruits and vegetable plants.

Here are garden boxes Brian built for me earlier this spring, using the wood left over from the fence. Pretty good for someone who could barely hold a hammer when I first met him. Because the dogs like to water the garden, but not in a beneficial way, I wanted the boxes to be out of reach. The height is also easier on my back. I kept it simple and chose easy varieties to grow, mainly due to my lack of experience.

Earlier this spring.

Taken a few days ago. It soon became overcrowded so I had to transplant some varieties into the ground nearby, protecting them from the dogs with chicken wire.


I also planted raspberry stalks to create a hedge. I don't expect anything much this year.

Twenty raspberry stalks.

Three blueberry plants.

The strawberries are coming.

Six sweet red peppers plants. They're not doing so well - not enough sun I guess.


Six Red Beef tomato plants.

Three cucumber plants.

My mom gave me some garlic and chive from her garden.


And finally, several heads of lettuce.

If all goes well with this garden, I'll try heirloom varieties next year.

Thank you to Our Vintage Garden for these beautiful Victorian images.