Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Victorian Front Entrance Doors - Part II

The other door has been stripped, sanded and painted, just like the first one. I thought that it would be nice to reproduce the scroll pattern from the window on to the bottom square frame.
So I traced it, transfered it on to my computer and retraced it in Illustrator so it's straight and precise.
































I then printed out, cut it with a blade knife to get a template. This template was used on each door in the four corners of the square frame.















I filled in the lines with the garnet red paint using a #4 and #0 paint brush.

6 comments:

sunshine said...

What a great idea!
Looks great so far! I can't wait to see the completed project!

((Hugs))
Laura

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Laura,
I keep getting side tracked with life, but it's coming.
XX

Eastlake Victorian said...

I like the idea of carrying the pattern in the glass to the bottoms of the doors. But I bet it was hard work painting in all those delicate straight lines!

-Pam

The Dusty Victorian said...

Hi Pam,
Yes, I got better with the second door, but either way, the surfaces on century doors are not very smooth.
Anyes
XX

GinaBVictorian said...

Beautiful doors! You do such a great job restoring things. I like to do those sort of jobs as well. It saves lots of $ doing things ourselves, doesn't it?

The Dusty Victorian said...

Yes Gina, an old home will require, at one point or another, the use of a professional workman so anything that I can do myself, I do it.
Not always easy, but always rewarding.
Anyes
XX